41 year old arrested during football game for headbutting 16 year old goalkeeper


A 41-year-old man was arrested after jumping the barrier at a youth football game and HEADBUTTING a 16-year-old goalkeeper.

Parents and players were left horrified by the assault on the teenager during an under-17s match at Stony Stratford Town Football Club on Sunday.

The shocked goalkeeper for Stony Stratford in Milton Keynes, Bucks., was taken to hospital for minor injuries following the attack.

Police and club officials have refused to reveal whether the attacker was linked to the opposing team Willen Juniors.

Eye-witnesses described the Milton Keynes and Border Counties Youth Football League Division One clash as ”feisty” with several players sent off.

But one witness, who did not wish to be named, said the shocking incident came out of the blue and left everyone stunned.

He said: ”It was a lively game but the incident was not in keeping with what had happened.

”The man turned up during the game ran onto the pitch and head butted the Stony Stratford goalkeeper.”

Chris Wise, chairman of Stony Stratford Town FC, condemned the attack.

He said: ”There is no place for this sort of behaviour at any level of football.”

Willen Juniors under-17s manager Sue Ryan said the matter was in the hands of the police and refused to comment.

Brian Moore, chief executive of the Berks and Bucks Football Association confirmed a full investigation is underway.

In a statement he said: ”On Monday March 22 Berks & Bucks FA received information on an assault that took place during the above match.

”On receiving this information we have requested full statements from both clubs and the match referee.

”On receiving all the requested comments, charges will then be levied, although at this time we are unable to verify what those charges will contain against any individual or clubs.

“We have no further comment to make at this time.”

The assault is the latest in a string of violent incidents to hit the league after referees were attacked and locked in changing rooms following past heated games.

Thames Valley Police confirmed a man from Aldridge Drive, Willen, Milton Keynes, has been arrested following an allegation of assault and is on bail until May 11.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here