Husband used Facebook to track down man who ‘raped his wife’ when she was a schoolgirl

October 17, 2012 | by | 0 Comments

A devoted husband tracked down the man who allegedly raped his wife as a schoolgirl ten years ago – using Facebook, a court heard.

The furious spouse hunted down Andrew Marsh, 38, by claiming he was organising a surprise party for his wife on the social networking site.

He confronted Marsh, a green grocer, and “beat” him up before he convinced his wife to report the historic alleged rape to police.

Andrew Marsh is on trial at Maidstone Crown Court, pictured, accused of rape

Andrew Marsh is on trial at Maidstone Crown Court, pictured, accused of rape

Married Marsh was arrested and charged with raping the woman, now 25, in an alleyway when she was still just a schoolgirl aged 14. He faces a second charge of indecent assault on the same date between February 1 and March 19, 2001.

Maidstone Crown Court heard the alleged victim – who cannot be named for legal reasons – only entrusted her husband with the rape claims during a talk about the lack of intimacy in their relationship.

She told him she had a relationship with Marsh which had started as just cuddling and kissing after school but ended with him allegedly raping her against a wall.

The court heard the frightened girl went home and told no-one of the alleged abuse until she broke down and told her husband last year.

The jury was told that the wife feared her marriage was on the verge of collapse and eventually told her husband Marsh’s name because he kept “badgering” her.

It was then the livid husband – who also cannot be named – used the social networking site to speak to old friends and track down Marsh’s phone number.

He contacted the alleged rapist and visited him at his home where he attacked him. Police were then alerted to the rape allegations, the court heard.

The jury heard the alleged rape-victim say she had never thought about telling the police about her claims until her husband encouraged her to do it.

The alleged victim told the court: “I didn’t want to tell him who he was because I was scared what he would do.

“He told me I had to call the police otherwise he would be prosecuted for assault.”

Marsh, of Rochester, Kent, denies rape and indecent assault between February and March 2001.

The court heard the “very friendly, chatty and flirty” grocer ran a shop in Chatham High Street, Kent, which was often visited by schoolgirls.

A relationship between Marsh and the teenager developed into cuddling and French kissing, the court heard, when Marsh walked her to catch a bus home.

But shortly before her birthday it is alleged Marsh led the girl into an alleyway – pinned her against a wall and raped her.

After the alleged attack the girl went home and told no-one about what had happened until last year.

Following his arrest, Marsh told police he could recall kissing and cuddling the teenager, and said he may have touched her breasts.

Isobel Ascherson, prosecuting, said : “He was kissing and touching her and she made it clear to him she didn’t want to go that far.

“Despite that, he had her pinned facing the wall and took down her knickers.

“He penetrated her from behind despite her objections and her real, real desire for this not to be happening. She was raped by him.

“However, he was very clear in his interview that there was not sexual intercourse.”

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy