Girl, 2, dies after falling 50ft from open window during Ramadan breakfast

July 17, 2013 | by | 0 Comments

A two-year-old girl died after she plunged 50 feet from the open window of her block of flats during a pre-dawn Ramadan breakfast.

The tragic toddler fell from her fourth floor home after it is thought she crawled along a breakfast bar close to the kitchen window.

Neighbours said they heard her devastated mother scream and race down the stairs to find her daughter on the gravel below.

Polden House, in Bristol, where a two year old child fell to her death from a window during Ramadan Breakfast

Polden House, in Bristol, where a two year old child fell to her death from a window during Ramadan Breakfast

Paramedics battled to save the little girl outside the council-owned flats in Windmill Hill, Bristol, but she later died at the children’s hospital.

It is thought her Muslim parents were fasting for Ramadan and were up early having cooked and eaten breakfast before sunrise, when the tragedy happened.

Friends described the child as “a lovely little girl” and more than a dozen soft toy tributes and flowers were left near the spot where she fell before 7am on Monday.

Next-door neighbour Paul Sheppard, 40, said: “It’s so sad – a big shock. Everyone in the flats is cut up about it. She was a lovely little girl.

“On Monday morning I heard her mum scream, then she ran out to get downstairs as fast as she could. The police were round here straight away.”

Flowers and teddies left at the scene of the tragedy

Flowers and teddies left at the scene of the tragedy

Sarah O’Driscoll, 28, who lives on the floor below with her seven-year-old son Mitchell, said: “It’s really scary.

“Having kids, it makes you realise living in flats like this you need to watch them all the time.

“I mean it has been so hot that everyone has had there windows open, you just would never think that kind of thing would happen.

“My son’s seven now, and even though he’s a bit older it still scares and panics me when I can’t see him.

“On the morning it happened I could see the police and paramedics outside but I didn’t know what was going on at first. It’s so tragic.

“I put a teddy out at the tributes because we are all one community here. We are all the same block so it just makes you think. It has been so quiet here since. I think everyone is in shock.

“A member of the family told my sister that the parents, obviously, were are in shock.
He said the parents took it really bad. It is just so sad.”

An Eeyore teddy was tied to the railings near where she fell, as well as a rabbit teddy with the simple message “bless you my little one” scrawled on the label.

One touching card taped to flowers said: “To a little angel who was taken young and suddenly, may you rest in peace.”

Another said: “My heart goes out to the family on the tragic loss of their little girl. RIP little angel.”

Neighbours Laura and Andy Noir, who also left a card, said: “To a little angel who was taken young and suddenly. May you rest in peace.”

It is thought the little girl lived at the address with her brother, mum and dad.

A South Western Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed they were called at 6.54am to reports that a young girl had fallen from a balcony.

She was conscious and breathing at one point but had suffered serious head injuries and was taken to Bristol Children’s Hospital.

Avon and Somerset police spokesman Wayne Baker said the girl died later in the day and because investigations found no suspicious circumstances, the case has been referred to the Avon Coroner.

The coroner’s office confirmed that a file on the death had been referred to them, but that an inquest had not yet been opened.

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy