Two workmen have been charged over the death of a young mum who was electrocuted while mopping up water from a leaky boiler.
Emma Shaw, 22, suffered the fatal electric shock in her kitchen as her one-year-old son Brayden played in the living room next door.
Her lifeless body was found by heartbroken boyfriend Andy Cross, 31,when he returned to their flat in West Bromwich, West Mids., on December 14 2007.
Yesterday, the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed it had charged electrician’s mate Christopher Tomkins, 51, and his supervisor Neil Hoult, 52, in connection with her death.
The pair were formerly employed by Anchor Electrical and Building Services – who installed the boiler in her home the previous year.
The two men, both from Rowley Regis, West Mids., will appear at Sandwell Magistrates court on May 13.
Mark Paul, legal advisor from West Midlands CPS, said: “I have advised officers from West Midlands Police that there is sufficient evidence and that it is in the public interest to charge Christopher Tomkins and Neil Hoult with offences under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, arising from the fatal electrocution of Emma Shaw on 14 December 2007.
“Mr Tomkins and Mr Hoult now stand charged with a criminal offence and have the right to a fair trial.”
An inquest heard in December 2012 that a screw fixing plasterboard had gone through a cable hitting earth and live wires, causing the electrical fault which led to the tragedy.
Just moments before dying the former Asda worker had texted her boyfriend saying “the electric’s sparking”.
Black Country coroner Robin Balmain ruled the mum-of-one had been unlawfully killed but no charges were brought in light of their decision.
Emma’s family have campaigned for CPS lawyers to launch legal action against the firm since her death.
Speaking in February, heartbroken mum Diane Potter, 48, said the family had considered bringing a private prosecution.
She said: “It’s five years, and we are just trying to put Emma to rest properly.”