Vincent Tabak remanded in custody


Vincent Tabak, the Dutchman accused of murdering Joanna Yeates, was formally remanded in custody today after his legal team decided not to apply for bail.

Vincent Tabak remanded in custody

The 32-year-old appeared at Bristol Crown Court wearing the same bright red sweater and borrowed glasses he wore at his first court hearing on Monday.

Looking scruffy with unkempt hair and rolled-up sleeves, he spoke only to confirm his name, replying: ”That is correct.”

He was brought into the dock at Court One chained to a custody officer with his hands handcuffed behind his back.

Tabak was then uncuffed and he clutched a scrap in his hands throughout the hearing and sat with his head bowed.

At one point he removed his glasses – a pair he has borrowed while his own are DNA tested by detectives – behind the bullet-proof glass of the dock.

Paul Cook, defending Tabak, confirmed his client did not wish to make an application for bail.

Ann Redropp, prosecuting for the Crown Prosecution Service, then formerly requested Tabak be kept in custody.

The request was granted by Judge Mr Justice Treacy.

Vincent Tabak remanded in custody

Justice Treacy also ruled Tabak did not need the aid of an interpreter.

He said: ”An interpreter has come to court but the information I have is that Mr Tabak speaks good English and does not need assistance.”

Mr Cook said his client would not need an interpreter for the hearing – or for one scheduled for next Monday – but asked for one to be made available for subsequent hearings.

Mr Cook also expressed concern at some members of the press wishing to report snippets of the case on Twitter.

He said: ”This case has had a significant amount of media interest and we are concerned by the detailed nature of the reporting.

”We are concerned about the impact of further reporting on Twitter on a fair trial.”

But Mr Justice Treacy dismissed their concerns – allowing journalists to ‘tweet’ the hearing.

Vincent Tabak remanded in custody

He ordered Tabak to stand before telling him: ”I am remanding you in custody to appear before this court next Monday morning at 10am, which will start to set the timetable for your case.”

The Dutchman meekly replied: ”I understand.”

He was then led out of court by his custody officer.

Tabak will appear back before Bristol Crown Court next Monday (31/1) for a preliminary hearing.


Comments are closed.