A Tesco shopper was horrified when she opened a sealed packet of broccoli – and found a live LIZARD inside.
Margaret Perthen, 62, was stunned when the Mediterranean gecko hopped out onto the kitchen worktop.
Amazingly, the resilient reptile had survived a 1,000 mile journey to Britain – despite being heat-sealed into the wrapper and transported in a refrigerated lorry.
The intrepid lizard is now recovering at a local vets after his journey to Tesco in Lydney, Glos.
Margaret, from Brentwood, Essex, was initally shocked as she opened the vegetable whilst visiting family friends in Gloucestershire.
She said: ”I saw him move as I put the knife into the packaging.
”I don’t know who was more scared, him or me. But I felt sorry for him, he didn’t look happy. I’m so pleased he survived.”
She put the four-inch long stowaway in a Chinese takeaway carton and took him to nearby Sundean vets.
Head nurse Teresa Horspool said Gordon is now being nursed back to health and doing very well.
”When he came to us he had lost his tail and was dark in colour as a result of his ordeal but his tail has now grown back and he is in good health,” she said.
Tesco apologised and sent a £10 voucher. A spokesman said: ”We are investigating.”
Leave a Reply