Teenage yob jailed after smashing a schoolboy over the head with a HAMMER


A teenage yob who fractured a schoolboy’s skull by smashing him over the head with a HAMMER has been jailed.

Manvir Singh, 18, attacked a 16-year-old boy during an organised street fight in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs., on June 24.

A court heard the victim was punched, kicked and stamped on – and he was forced to curl into a ball to protect himself before he was hit with a hammer.

Singh, of Stoke-on-Trent, was sentenced to 20 months in a young offenders’ institute after he admitted grievous bodily harm at the city’s crown court on Thursday (5/6).

Judge David Fletcher said: “This was an incident that could so easily have been avoided. It was a planned altercation and it became worse by the finding of the hammer.

“It got completely out of hand.”

The court heard Singh attacked his victim after two groups of teenagers arranged to meet for a fight.

Prosecutor Kevin Jones said: “The complainant was out with three of his friends when one of the group received a phone call from Mr Singh.

“The complainant said it was to arrange a fight. They stayed where they were when the defendants arrived.

“The victim was punched in the face and he started to run away.

“But he fell over and was punched, kicked and stamped on before being struck with a hammer – which was found at the scene – by the defendant.

“The complainant was able to curl into a ball to protect himself.

“Following the incident, he said he is scared to go out on his own and that he forgets things easily. He says he also suffers flashbacks.”

The victim – who cannot be named for legal reasons – was left with a fractured skull and a deep cut following the brawl.

Robert Smith, defending Singh, said: “This young man had a very difficult start in life.

“On the day in question, the complainant and his group and this defendant and his friends had been in contact with one another.

“There were arguments and disagreements over the phone and threats had been made which led to a fight being arranged.

“The injury caused was not as serious as it could have been. Fortunately the complainant hasn’t been left with the injuries he could have been.”

Singh’s co-accused, Fawad Saffee, 19, of Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent, was spared jail after he admitted grievous bodily harm with intent after punching the victim in the face.

He was sentenced to 20 months in prison, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to carry out 130 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay the victim #300 compensation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here