A 14-year-old boy has been arrested after posting a Facebook hitlist of classmates he planned to STAB during a massacre at school.
The teen is also said to have threatened to rape a teacher in the outrage planned for tomorrow (Fri).
He is said to have posted the names online and made threats in person at Heathfield Community School on the edge of the county town of Taunton, Somerset.
But officers swooped on the schoolboy and he was arrested.
He has since been released on bail but some worried parents have removed their children from the school despite reassurances from the headteacher.
Head Peter Hoare said: “You will no doubt be aware of reports this week of an ongoing Police investigation involving the school and I appreciate that this has been a cause of concern for students and parents.
“I would like to reassure you that we have taken this very seriously and that all the right steps have been taken to ensure the safety of everyone at the school.
“While I cannot go into detail, I can confirm that the individual involved is not in school.
“We are confident that appropriate steps have been taken and the school will be open as usual and attendance is expected.”
He added: “I am aware of considerable speculation and rumor circulating at the school, particularly on social media.
“The police advise that this is not helpful to their enquiries and I would ask that parents treat this information with caution and refrain from contributing anything that may prejudice the police investigation.
“Local police officers and police community support officers will continue to provide uniformed reassurance through their daily patrols.
“This is not only to provide support and advice for parents and people in the area, but also to receive any information from the local community.
“The police have asked parents not to call the police 101 number, unless it is a genuine call that requires prompt police action.
“We are continuing to assist the police and our partners and therefore it would not be appropriate to make further comment at this time.
“If any parents or students have any individual concerns then please do not hesitate to contact their teacher or come to me directly.”
It is understood the teenager published the list on social media this week and told those on his list he would carry out the attack this Friday – November 13th.
Avon and Somerset police said: “The allegation involves threats made about a school in the West Somerset policing area.
“The arrest was made to safeguard the individual and enable our enquiries into the allegations to continue.
“He has since been released on police bail.
“We continue to work with the school and other agencies and will not be making any further comment.”
Heathfield Community School has around 1,388 pupils aged between 11 and 18.
The school in the village of West Monkton has a specialism in the arts.
Worried parents claimed the 14-year-old at the centre of the massacre threat was “bullied” and “obsessed with the school massacres in America”.
It is understood police began patrolling around the school on Tuesday after the threats emerged online.
Parents voiced their fears on social media and it is understood many headed straight to the school to remove their children on Tuesday.
Writing on Facebook, Clive Shackell said: “Statement from the school, in real terms, a boy has been suspended as he had a homemade bomb, knives and a gun with a hitlist of who he’s gonna get on Friday 13th.”
“The police are there until Friday.
“He’s been suspended but apparently he’s obsessed with the school massacres in America and he hates a few pupils and teachers there who he’s gonna knife!!!”
Other parents suggested the boy had been bullied.
Sarah Martin wrote: “Oh come on this is just getting beyond a joke now rumours and speculation adding things on to this and that.
“This poor boy has made a mistake and he is at home with his mum!
“More than likely getting a right rollicking.
“We have all made mistakes.
“What about the bullies that have been bullying him? ”
Janine Mockridge Biggs added: “All this because he was bullied.”
It is understood the attack was planned for Friday, which was planned to be an ‘own clothes day’ which has been cancelled.
Elaine Richings added: “There are A LOT of kids not wanting to go on Friday!!! Don’t blame them really.”
Victoria Devonshire added: “Not sure yet if I’m sending Amber in on Friday all a bit scary.”
It is understood pupils who would normally leave school at lunchtime on Friday will have to be picked up by an adult.
Writing on Facebook, parent Charmayne Kelland said: “If the lad has been arrested then can someone explain why are the police still there and why tomorrow do the children who go home (walking) for lunch need to picked up by parent or career and dropped off again?
“He’s been released on police bail. Really NO WAY am I sending my daughter to school.”
Police said the boy was arrested on Monday night after they were made aware of a post on social media.
A police spokesman said: “A 14-year-old boy from the Taunton area has been arrested following enquiries into an allegation he made threats, including on social media.
“The allegation involved a school in the west Somerset policing area.
“The arrest was made to safeguard the individual and enable our enquiries into the allegation to continue.
“He has since been released on police bail.
“We continue to work with the school and other agencies.
“All agencies are working together to support the boy and his family and ensure there are no issues within the community.”
Leave a Reply