Shocking CCTV footage shows moment bungling burglar almost blew himself up

This is the shocking moment a bungling burglar almost blew himself up while trying to steal money from a cash machine.

This is the shocking moment a bungling burglar almost blew himself up while trying to steal money from a cash machine.

Brothers David Culshaw, 49, and Michael Culshaw, 51, made two botched attempts at stealing money from an ATM but had to flee the scene after failing to grab the cash.

The brazen brothers attempted to insert a black tube into the ATM before filling it with gas to blow the machine from the wall.

However, the brothers can be seen on the shocking CCTV running away from flames after the failed theft attempt.

The first incident occurred at around 12.30am on Sunday 24 September in Warrington, Cheshire.

They attempted to break into the machine by causing an explosion using a gas canister but were unsuccessful in their attempts, fleeing the scene empty handed after causing minor damage to the ATM.

This is the shocking moment a bungling burglar almost blew himself up while trying to steal money from a cash machine.

In the second incident, at the same cash machine at 4.30am on 16 October 2017, one of the bumbling brothers gets caught up in the flames from the gas canister and almost blows himself up.

While fleeing, Michael Culshaw inadvertently left a black glove and towel behind, which was later traced to him via DNA.

Traces of David Culshaw’s DNA were also discovered on a black tube that the pair used to cause the explosion.

On 30 October 2017 officers executed warrants at the brothers’ homes in Leigh, Greater Manchester, and found equipment that linked them to the two incidents in Warrington and indicated that they were planning further attacks.

The pair were both arrested and subsequently charged with a number of offences, including attempted theft from a cash machine, arson and causing an explosion likely to endanger life .

David Culshaw was also charged with possession of a class A drug.

The brothers appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday 2 May, where they were both sentenced to 10-years in prison after pleading guilty to attempting to rob money from an ATM.


Michael Culshaw.
David Culshaw.

Following sentencing, Sergeant Alison Howarth welcomed the sentences stating: “The Culshaws believed that they were above the law, attempting, and failing to steal money from the same ATM machine on two separate occasions.

“I commend the diligence of the detectives involved in pursuing all lines of enquiry to identify them as suspects. The brothers failed to engage with officers during the investigation and denied any involvement. It was down to the tenacity of the investigators who secured the evidence to prove beyond doubt their involvement and build the case which led to the guilty pleas.

“The brothers believed that crime would pay and help eradicate debt, the sentences passed today prove that this isn’t the case and has landed them behind bars”

Detective Constable John Parry, the officer in charge of the case added: “This store was local in the heart of a small tight knit community, and the devastation of these incidents should not be underestimated. Not only did they cause thousands of pounds worth of damage, but they also had a profound impact on other businesses and residents within the local area.

“The substantial sentence handed to the brother’s today recognise this impact and send a clear message to offenders that Cheshire detectives will pursue all lines of enquiry to detect crime that hurts the very heart of our communities and puts innocent members of the public at risk.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here