A couple have spoken of their heartache after their two-year-old son died suddenly following a bout of CHICKEN POX.
Little Oscar Schonau picked up the contagious illness in October but appeared to be on the road to recovery.
The tot had been staying with his grandparents when they placed him in his cot after he dozed off on the sofa on November 3.
But around an hour later, they checked on him and the youngster had turned blue.
His grandparents immediately dialled 999, but the family were told Oscar had contracted blood poisoning and that nothing could be done to save him.
Tragically, he passed away just two hours after arriving at the Royal Stoke University Hospital.
His devastated mum and dad believe the sepsis that killed their son may have been as a result of his immune system being low from the chicken pox.
A post-mortem has been carried out but further tests will be undertaken to discover whether the seemingly harmless illness contributed to his death.
Today (Thurs), mum Lynette, 36, from Birches Head, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs., said: “At this stage we don’t know why he got sepsis.
“It could be because his immune system was low because of the chicken pox.
“We have kept ourselves busy but we are very much grieving.
“The support we have had from everyone has meant so much. He was brilliant and was such a loving child who was always smiling.”
Dad Rob, 33, a bus driver, said: “The night before he’d had a bit of temperature and we gave him some Calpol and he was fine.
“There were no real symptoms that anything was wrong, all we can think is his immune system was low because of the chicken pox.
Now, his grief-stricken family are raising money for the Donna Louise Children’s Hospice in Stoke-on-Trent, where Oscar was taken following his death.The family stayed in the hospice’s ‘garden room’, a private suite and garden where grieving families can stay with their child in quiet contemplation before the funeral.
Finance worker Lynette added: “We were able to have the weekend together as a family and just be with him.
“Oscar had his own cot and it gave us the time to say goodbye.
“In such tragic circumstances we felt blessed to have that opportunity.
“The staff at the hospice and hospital were just so supportive.”
More than 300 people attended Oscar’s funeral at St Anne’s Church in Brown Edge, Staffs., with £450 raised for the Donna Louise.
Director of care at Donna Louise Children’s Hospice Dot Gillespie said: “We are very humbled by the donation that Oscar’s family made following his funeral.
“Saying goodbye to your child who has passed away is the hardest thing that any parent will ever do.
“The garden room is where we care for children after they have passed away.
“It’s a place where families say goodbye to their child in a way and a timeframe that suits them, supported 24/7 by a skilled team of compassionate, caring staff.”