A mum claims her hair melted off in huge clumps – after she was set on fire by a supermarket firework.
Michelle Willis, 25, bought £31 worth of rockets from Asda to set off in her garden as part of a mini-display for her son Jack, seven, and her mum Jackie, 53.
But she claims when she lit the fuse and stepped away to a safe distance the third of a six-shot bundle fired straight towards her.
The full-time mum screamed in horror as her hair and fur collar on her gilet went up in flames, she claims.
Thankfully she was able to put her head under the kitchen tap to extinguish the fire – but claims the flames burned off half her hair.
She said hairdressers were forced to chop off the remaining long locks and Michelle is speaking out to warn other families.
The full-time mum from Hayes, Middlesex, said: “It was only the third one I set off but instead of it going up into the air it shot straight towards us.
“I think one of the sparks literally just hit me in the head.
“It happened so fast. I was trying to pat the flames out at first.
“My hair set straight on fire and I had to quickly run into the kitchen and put my head under the tap.
“There are burn marks on my kitchen floor.
“I was screaming and my son and mum ran in after me.
“I was trying to take my coat off.
“My mum was pouring water on my head.
“My hair was coming out in clumps. I was hysterically crying. It was just falling out.
“I could smell that horrible singed smell.
“If it wasn’t for my coat, my skin would have been totally burned around my neck. I think it protected me a bit.
“I’ve lost half of my hair and I had to get the rest cut off.
“I used to have really long hair and it’s really short now. It used to be right down my back and I’ve lost about half my hair.
“The hairdresser was shocked. She couldn’t believe it when I told her how it happened.
“I’m still in shock myself to be honest. I couldn’t really speak after it happened last night.
“I was just in shock thinking about it.
“It was just going round and round in my mind. I’m ok not but it could have been much worse.
“If it had hit my son or my face it doesn’t bare thinking about.
“I’ll never hold another firework display again.”
She bought the fireworks from Asda in Ruislip for the home show on November 5, and attended her GP surgery a day later.
Doctors told her to keep it clean and keep it away from hot water, and she complained to Asda who are now investigating.
An Asda spokesman said: “The safety of our customers is very important to us.
“We are sorry to hear about Ms Willis’ experience and understand how concerning it must have been.
“All our fireworks are tested for safety and on the assumption the correct set up procedures were followed, there is no clear indication how this could have happened.
“However, we have offered a full refund and are currently carrying out a full investigation with our supplier and will keep Ms Willis updated with our findings.”