Motorcyclist jailed for 100mph police chase


This is the moment a dangerous motorcyclist drove over 100mph in a police pursuit described as the most “outrageous incident” police have ever seen.

Gavin Collett was driving at “breakneck speeds” when he ran red lights as pedestrians crossed, mounted pavements and dodged terrified pedestrians.

The banned rider also weaved in and out of traffic driving at oncoming traffic and overtook vehicles with little space to spare in Worthing and Brighton this March.

A police helicopter tracked him as he raced through the streets before first he crashed in Worthing.

Undeterred Collett got back on his bike and raced off without his helmet towards Brighton.

The chase which lasted over an hour-and-a-half ended where he crashed again at the barriers to the Churchill Square car park.

He then abandoned his bike and leather jacket before running off.

A search of Brighton town centre failed to find him and Collett eventually handed himself in to police in Hampshire three days later.

On Friday Collett, 32, was handed two years behind bars – 18 months for dangerous driving and an extra three months for two counts of failing to stop after a road traffic collision.

Lewes Crown Court ordered Collett to remain on licence for at least 12 months on release from prison.

He was also disqualified from driving for three years but received no separate penalty for being disqualified and driving without insurance at the time.

PC Ben Henwood, who led the investigation into the high speed pursuit, said it was a miracle nobody was hurt.

He said: “Collett’s sentence is fully deserved and it represents the massively aggravated nature of his behaviour over an extended period of time.

“We have reviewed the footage and this is without doubt the most outrageous incident of dangerous driving we have ever seen in Sussex.

“Throughout his journey, Collett showed a blantant disregard for anyone else’s safety and it’s a miracle no one else was hurt.

“He went straight across the flow of oncoming traffic at ridiculous speeds, he went through the fully pedestrianised area of Montague Street in Worthing, he mounted pavements to undertake cars when pedestrians were present, and he travelled at breakneck speed between Goring and Ferring when there was no margin for error at all.

“It’s unbelievable how he hasn’t killed himself or anyone else. He’s lucky to be alive.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here