Man suffers horrific burns after returning to house fire for trousers


A father who escaped from a house fire suffered horrific burns after he ran back into his blazing home – to fetch a pair of TROUSERS.

The man awoke to find his property on fire in the early hours of Saturday and managed to escape the inferno with five members of his family.

But he dashed back into the building to get a pair of trousers because he had rushed out onto the street without getting dressed.

He was then overcome by smoke and had to be rescued by fire crews who rushed into the house in Brixham, Devon.

Fire crews said he had been alerted by a fire alarm and had left the house without his clothes on at around 4.30am.

Group Commander Neil Blackburn said the man was carried unconscious from his bedroom and taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

He said: ”He had gone back into the house to spare his blushes. The clear message is if you discover a fire, get out and stay out.”

A police spokesman said the man’s family were unhurt in the incident, which is not being treated as suspicious.

He added: ”Police received a call to advise that firefighters were responding to a report of a house fire in Brixham.

”The house in question was reported to be well alight and the six occupants, believed to be from the same family, were out of the premises.

”A male adult was reported as the only injury and was taken by ambulance to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here