SWNS_LOST_SIGHT_11

Stephen and Tess Souter from Braunton, Devon. Stephen lost eye sight in one eye due to rare eye eating parasite contracted through wearing disposable contact lenses. See SWNS story SWEYE; A man has been left blind in one eye from a rare infection – triggered by his contact lenses. Retired engineer Stephen Souter, 63, says he has suffered ‘indescribable’ pain from the disease which has slowly destroyed his cornea. The cornea – the clear ‘window’ at the front of the eye – is one of our most sensitive organs, with the highest density of pain receptors in the body. Stephen has been diagnosed with Acanthamoeba Keratitis, an infection caused by a microscopic organism found in water both outdoors and in our homes.

Recent News