Liverpool have insisted star striker Fernando Torres is not for sale following Chelsea’s spectacular bid for the 26-year-old striker.
The London club offered £35 million for the Liverpool man – a bid immediately rejected by the Anfield outfit.
Torres, who has only hit the back of the net nine times this season, hasn’t performed to his capabilities this season.
But the Spaniard has burst into form over the past fortnight following the return to Anfield of Kenny Dalglish, bagging three goals in four games and having a goal unfairly disallowed against Blackpool on Wednesday night.
Despite a faltering season and a poor World Cup, Torres has remained Liverpool’s star man but Chelsea’s bid will be a great test of the new owner’s resolve.
Liverpool have confirmed the audacious bid – instantly rejecting it.
A spokesperson for the club said: “Chelsea have made a bid for Fernando which has been turned down. The player is not for sale.”
Fans this morning took to message boards to support Torres, with some feeling Chelsea are bidding in an attempt to unsettle the Spaniard ahead of February 6 when the clubs clash in the Premier League.
One fan, going by the name of Laxman, wrote on the Liverpool’s official website: “Torres has become part of LFC for ever. His family is well settled in and he surely looks like he’s enjoying himself under Kenny. No way will he leave.”
Jack 91 said: “Chelsea trying to unsettle Torres and Liverpool before important match against them? They’re running scared. Stupid Chelsea.”
Kirkbyboy100 added: “Chelsea can go jump in the sea. Let’s hope Nando’s not tempted and remains loyal to LFC.”
Liverpool are continuing to negotiate with Ajax for Uruguayan striker Luis Suárez but have so far hit a brick wall – with the Dutch giants failing, so far, to agree a fee for the hot-tempered forward.
Picture Credit: Nigel Wilson on Flickr