If you’re new to the casino industry, you’ve probably seen the game where a ball is thrown into a rotating disk, and it lands onto a specific number. That’s roulette. Sounds easy to play? It’s not that easy to win. Roulette is one of the most sophisticated and oldest games in the casino industry – taking into account the fact that it was introduced back in the 1970s. Since then, roulette has come very far. From traditional casinos, the game was developed for virtual casinos, known as ‘online roulette’. The Online Gaming Society tells you everything you need to know about online roulette on their Japanese site.
How to play roulette the right way
The French word roulette means ‘little wheel’, which was how the game’s name was derived. There are numbers on the wheel that range from 0 to 36. Each player places a bet on one of these numbers, and the dealer (also known as the croupier) throws a small, white ball onto the wheel. Whichever number the ball falls on is matched with the corresponding bets to determine the winners. Granted, roulette is a game based on luck and probability, but if that’s all you’re relying on, you’re playing it wrong. While there is no set strategy on winning the game, there are a number of things you can do to avoid possible problems when playing online casino and maximize your chances of winning a jackpot:
Know the basic rules of the game
Before we get into the rules, you should know that the European roulette holds 37 numbered pockets, whereas the American roulette holds 38 numbered pockets. However, the basic online roulette game is based upon European roulette, which has the following rules:
- A bet can be placed on as many chips that the player wants on the condition that the payout does not exceed £100,000 in a single game
- A single bet can be split between two to four numbers as long as the player appropriately puts the chip over the line or at the corner of the table
- The total amount which each player bets on is collected in the ‘Total Stake Box’ which is placed at the bottom right of the display
- In order to choose a different stake amount when placing a new bet, players can either place several chips on each betting area or select a new chip value
- A double bet button is available for players who want to double their stakes in the game
- Once all bets are placed, the player presses the ‘Spin’ button after which the game cannot be canceled
- If a player wishes to undo his/her last action, they can press undo. If they wish to remove a chip, they can hold the chip and press the shift key both at the same time
- To refresh or restart the game, a player can press ‘Clear All Bets’
So that sums up the rules of roulette. Knowing all the basic tips and hacks will help you win, for example, undoing your turn if you feel like you’ve made the wrong move.
Strategies for winning the game
In order to win roulette, you can’t simply rely on probabilities and luck. There are some very important strategies you need to learn in order to win:
- Know all the inside wagers: In order to predict which number the ball is going to land on, players make inside wagers or bets. These bets have higher odds of winning, which include:
- You can bet straight up on one number which pays 35 to 1
- You can split your bet on two numbers, which pays 17 to 1
- Placing a street bet on three numbers pays 11 to 1
- You can bet three numbers with just one chip by placing it on the end of any street on the table map
- You can place a corner bet on four numbers, which pays 8 to 1 where the chip lies where the four numbers cross
- As the name suggests, six line betting is done on six numbers, which pays 5 to 1. In this bet, the chip lies where the two streets connect
- Know all the outside wagers: With outside wagers, players have a much higher chance of winning as compared to inside wagers. In specific terms, the odds of a single number (in the European wheel) is 1 in 37 spins. They usually have a payout ratio of 2 to 1 or even money.
- You can color betting on red or black, which pays even money.
- Even or odd betting will also pay even money
- You can column bet on 12 numbers, which pays 2 to 1
- You can opt for dozen betting which pays 2 to 1
- High or low bets all pay even money
- Know your odds: Your odds will vary in an American casino as opposed to a European casino, and while you can’t change them, it’s best to be aware of them. Every house has its own edge. In America, a casino with 00 slots has more advantage (roughly 5.3%) as compared to a house with 0 slots. In European casinos, however, players have more advantage. If a layer loses his/her bet, they can either collect half of it or use it for the next spin.
- Choose the right table: Every table will showcase the minimum inside bets and maximum outside bets that can be placed. Outside bets usually have higher maximums due to the low payoffs.
- Know the dealer: You’d think there’s the same probability of the ball landing on any number each time it spins, but that’s not the case. That may be true for online roulette, but in a land-based casino, you can observe the dealer and find out his habits. This means that as humans, we all would throw the ball at a certain speed, angle, and length; thus, increasing the chances of the ball ending up on specific numbers of the wheel. Knowing this will require you to spend a lot of your time at the casino!