The seven-year-old grandson of a prominent anti-supermarket campaigner was rushed to hospital – after a TESCO SIGN fell on his head.
Edward Sant was standing outside a Tesco Express store when a section of the famous signage became dislodged and landed on him.
The stunned lad collapsed in shock and he was treated for a gash to the back of his neck and taken to hospital.
Edward was visiting grandfather Robbie Robinson, who is leading local opposition against plans for a £20million Tesco superstore in Brixham, Devon.
Mr Robinson, one of the store chain’s most vocal critics, said: “When I heard what happened to my grandson the irony wasn’t lost on me.
“It is ironic that a Tesco sign should fall on my grandson when I have been opposed to their scheme for so long.”
Edward’s mum Amanda, 43, said: “Edward was hit right at the base of the neck. It punctured the skin. It was quite a deep wound.
“The staff were really good and looked after Edward until the paramedics arrived. I spoke to the store manager.
“He told me he would personally go up on a ladder to fix the sign up so it doesn’t happen again. ”
Dad Jake, 62, “All I heard was this noise. I turned round and this sign had fallen on Edward’s neck. It punctured his shoulder. I think I went into shock too.”
Store manager Peter Hawes said he personally reattached the section of fallen plastic that underlines one of the letters in Express.
He said: “It was myself and two colleagues who went out and helped.
“We brought him back and he had a nasty gash to his shoulder. It was all sorted out fairly quickly and I went up myself and saw to the sign.”
Brixham Residents Against a Tesco Superstore have been fighting plans to build a 32,000 sq ft Tesco supermarket, 11 town houses and three flats.