The rocker made a video announcement at last night’s NME awards, where Glastonbury was voted Best Festival for the third year running.
He said: “I have to say there really is something special and iconic about that stage.
“So, we’re all looking forward to coming back to pick up where I left off.
“We’re so excited to get to play in front of the world’s greatest festival audience. We’ll see you there!”
Of the event’s win that night, he added: “Congratulations to Michael and Emily [Eavis, Glastonbury’s organisers] and the rest of the team for the continued success of Glastonbury.
“It’s more a way of life than a festival.”
The Dublin legends had been booked to play last year but were forced to pull out after frontman Bono suffered an injury.
They will play the main stage on the Friday night. Coldplay have been confirmed to play on Saturday and Rn’B star Beyonce will close the festival on Sunday night.
The singer, whose husband Jay-Z won over a crowd of sceptics with his headline set in 2008, said of the gig: “I’m pumped up about that huge audience and soaking up their energy.
“This really is the biggest festival in the world and I cannot wait to perform.
“Everyone who attends is really appreciative of music and is in such a good mood all weekend.”