A six-year-old girl has been tested for a series of deadly illnesses after picking up a dirty drugs needle she mistook for CALPOL.
Courtney Sharpin was playing with her four-year-old sister Saffron when she found the used spike and a blackened spoon by recycling bins near her home.
She thought it looked like the easy dosage syringe her mother uses to give her Calpol and picked it up.
Fortunately Courtney, of King’s Lynn, Norfolk, did not prick herself but she touched the needle with two fingers.
She is now anxiously awaiting the results of HIV and hepatitis tests carried out by concerned medics.
Her worried mother Gemma Hicks, 31, said: “It is disgusting that someone is shooting up in the area.
“Courtney is six years old, she should not be having to go through this.
“Maybe she should not have picked it up but she thought it was one of those easy dosage syringes for Calpol.
“These people should do it in their own homes.”
Courntey has undergone three blood tests and a hepatitis B jab at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.
She is now waiting for her results and to find out if she will be referred to a specialist clinic to be tested for hepatitis C.
The Freebridge Community Housing Association which runs the estate where Courtney lives said: “We have carried out an accident investigation into how this has happened to reduce the chances of a similar incident occurring in the future.”