Former boxing champ Nick Blackwell who nearly died in a title fight and had to learn to walk again is now training – for a half MARATHON.
Ex-British middleweight Nick, 28, was told there was a 75 per cent chance he would die and an 85 per cent chance of paralysis from his injuries.
The 28-year-old almost died in the wake of losing his title to Chris Eubank Jr in March 2016.
He was put in an induced coma for a week after he suffered a bleed on the skull.
Nick sustained a second head injury in a prohibited sparring session the following November, resulting in life-changing injuries and having to learn to walk and talk again.
He was hospitalised for a year but three years on he is training for a half-marathon at the end of March in aid of the head injury unit where he was treated.
Nick, from Trowbridge in Wiltshire, said: ““I used to run all the time and would get up at 5.30am on a weekday and go for a five or six-mile run with my dog, Roscoe.
“Running is my way of relaxing and is like escapism for me. and I am so pleased to be well enough to run the half marathon.”
Nick, who is planning to run the Weston-super-Mare Half Marathon in March said his recovery is going better than he could have hoped.
He said: “I was told there was a 75 per cent chance I would die and an 85 per cent chance I would be partly paralysed.
“I didn’t think I would be able to run again. If it wasn’t for how fit I was before I don’t think I would be here today.”
Nick now is tackling eight mile runs with coach and friend Mike Brice – who he says sometime struggles to keep up.
He said: “I can’t believe it has been three years since my boxing injury.
“Although it has been a tough road to recovery I can’t believe how far I have come. I have got a lot physically stronger in the last few months.”
So far Nick has raised £435 for Southmead Hospital and Cancer Research for the half marathon on March 29.