Boy dies after collapsing during football match at party


A devastated family has paid tribute to their eight-year-old son who died after collapsing while playing football with friends at a children’s party.

Tragic Charlie Fidler is believed to have suffered an asthma attack or severe allergic reaction at Hemel Hempstead Cricket Club, in Hertfordshire on Saturday.

Shocked onlookers told how the youngster’s mum Nicole Fidler tried to save her boy’s life with an adrenaline pen used for treating anaphylactic shock.

Little Charlie, who has two younger siblings, was rushed by Nicole and dad Jason, 38, to Hemel Hempstead Hospital at 8.10pm.

An ambulance then transferred him to Watford General Hospital where he later died.

He had just won a player of the year prize from his under 8s football team at the BBQ for dozens of children aged 7-9 following a mini football tournament.

His traumatised family yesterday paid tribute to their ”beautiful boy who was full of life”.

In a statement, they said: ”We are devastated by what has happened and are still trying to come to terms with our loss.

”Words cannot describe how we are all feeling right now.

”We are heartbroken after Charlie, who always brightened up the room. We all loved him so much and we cannot explain how much we are going to miss him.

”He loved playing football and was a huge Arsenal fan and also enjoyed swimming and attending cubs.

”On Saturday, before he sadly died, he had been attending a barbecue after a presentation at his football club, The Hemel Town Youth Team, where he won a trophy for being the most improved player and he was delighted with his achievement.

”He played for the Under 8s on the red team.”

Charlie attended the South Hill School in Hemel Hempstead and was the eldest of three children and leaves behind Isabelle, six, and Samuel, three.

His tearful granddad Terry Fidler, 64, of Hemel Hempstead, said his family fear his sudden death may have been caused by an asthma attack or anaphylactic shock.

He said: ”He was running around playing football and the next minute he was having a problem moving.

”They gave him the adrenaline pen and inhaler but started going grey and passed out.

”He was my favourite grandson, he was a lovely boy and a great little footballer.

”He won most improved player at the awards ceremony for his team earlier in the afternoon.

”We are trying to get through this dreadful tragedy. He was only eight years old.

”We are waiting for an autopsy, we can’t make any prediction but we think it was asthma or anaphylactic shock.”

East of England Ambulance Service spokesman Gary Sanderson said a crew was called to the cricket club but was not needed.

He said: ”We did receive a call to the cricket club but were cancelled by the person calling 999 as they conveyed the child themselves to hospital.”

A spokesman for Hertfordshire police said police were informed of the death but were not investigating as it was not suspicious and the matter had been passed to the coroner.

The barbecue was held to mark a football tournament in Hemel Hempstead attended by a team from southern Italy.

Anaphylactic shock is a life-threatening over reaction by the body’s immune system to certain substances, which would otherwise be relatively harmless.

It can cause muscle contractions and swelling which make it difficult to breathe, abdominal pain, vomiting, low blood pressure and diarrhoea.

Insect bites and stings and food such as nuts can trigger a reaction in sufferers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here