Dad Chris Horsnell, 27, said: “By Sunday (October 30) he had been projectile vomiting for days and we thought we’ve had enough of this.
“We decided to take him to the hospital and they ran some tests.
“While I was in the waiting room with Courtney I was feeding her one of the fish pie pouches. I started reading the back of it and I saw it was two months out of date.
“I was disgusted. I couldn’t believe it. The pouches didn’t smell out of date and seemed totally normal.”
Alfie was later diagnosed with gastroenteritis, which is often caused by bacterial food poisoning.
He spent five days at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow, Essex, and has since been released home where he is making a steady recovery.
Mr Horsnell, who runs a vehicle recovery business, immediatly contacted Poundland when he realised the pouches went out of date on September 9.
The father-of-two said: “I’m massively angry, absolutely disgusted with them. I’m never ever going to one of their stores again.
“I just want to warn everyone else. If my wife bought these, how many other mums have gone out there and bought them?
“They don’t seem to care at all. I sent them pictures of the pouch and receipt but the came back asking for the actual items.
“I can’t do that because I’ve already sent them over to the council’s environmental health officer to have a look at.”
The family are now warning other parents to always check the date on their foods to avoid the same thing happening to them.
A Poundland spokesman said: “We are very sorry to hear of this incident. We take matters relating to the health and safety of our customers very seriously.
“Poundland has in place a robust stock rotation system which all stores are required to adhere to. An investigation is currently underway and we have also escalated this to the manufacturer.”
Leave a Reply