Pensioner sent home from hospital suffers a STROKE just hours later

November 26, 2014 | by | 0 Comments

A frail pensioner who was sent home from hospital alone in the middle of the night in a taxi is fighting for life – after suffering a major STROKE just hours later.

Shirley Griffiths, 81, was taken to Worcestershire Royal Hospital after she collapsed at home shortly after 7.30pm on November 16.

Her distraught husband Clive, 82, dialled 999 and the ambulance crew rushed her to A&E where she was examined by a doctor.

She was discharged just after midnight and put in a taxi which took her home to Hanley Swan, Worcs., but she collapsed again less than five hours later.

She was rushed back to hospital where she remains in serious condition in the stroke unit.

Yesterday (Wed) Mr Griffiths said he was appalled the hospital had sent his wife on the 12 mile (19.3km) trip in the middle of the night on her own when she was clearly unwell.

He said: “The ambulance crew were really good, but quite frankly I thought she was on the way out.

“They took her straight to hospital where they did tests on her, but within a few hours the doctor sent her home in a taxi.

“I think it’s disgusting. How could they send a woman of her age home in a taxi on her own?

“I thought maybe the ambulance would bring her back, but she turned up back at home at 12.30pm.

“I helped her into bed and went to sleep, but at about 5am I heard a loud bang and saw she had fallen.

“I had to call one of my neighbours for help. She was taken back to hospital and she’s been on the acute stroke ward ever since.

“They’ve done a brain scan and they think part of her brain just went bang, she doesn’t recognise anyone and she doesn’t know where she is.

“If the doctors on her first visit had examined her more thoroughly they would not have sent her home.

“They told me they’d done a few tests and sent her home. They obviously didn’t do the proper tests.

“They should have done more to find out what was wrong. I’m concerned other people may be treated the same way.”

Jane Rutter, matron for medicine at Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, said the organisation had begun an investigation.

She said: “We are very sorry to hear of Mr Griffiths’ concerns regarding his wife’s care.

“We take all feedback from relatives seriously and are currently investigating his concerns.

“We have spoken to Mr Griffiths and are meeting with him next week to further discuss his wife’s care.”

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy