Paramedics took 30 minutes to get to dying teenager after driving to the WRONG prison

September 25, 2013 | by | 0 Comments

A teenage lag who hanged himself after an affair with his counsellor had to wait 30 minutes for paramedics – because they drove to the WRONG prison, an inquest heard.

Anthony Dunne, 19, started a sexual relationship with Anita Setz, 51, in August 2004 after asking for her phone number during a counselling session.

When Dunne completed his sentence for ABH the teenager fled to his lover’s home rather than return to a probation hostel.

Former prison counsellor Anita Setz leaves the inquest at County Hall, Maidstone, into the death of Anthony Dunne

Former prison counsellor Anita Setz leaves the inquest at County Hall, Maidstone, into the death of Anthony Dunne

But after hiding out for three weeks at Setz’s house Dunne ran out of his anti-psychotic drugs – and viciously assaulted the mother-of-two.

Dunne was thrown back behind bars for the attack and just one day later the vulnerable teen was found hanged in his cell.

An inquest into his death heard on Monday that paramedics took half an hour to reach him – because they drove to the wrong prison.

When they finally arrived at the Rochester Young Offenders’ Institution in Kent they had to wait a further 13 minutes – because the only worker authorised to let them through was busy giving Anthony CPR.

It has also emerged that guards had changed his suicide watch from 15 minutes to hourly – even AFTER he had made a noose from a torn bedsheet.

The retired deputy governor, Frank Stoddart, told an inquest on Monday the incident was “shocking” but he has previously seen prisoners and counsellors fall in love.

He said: “It’s quite shocking. I think hopefully all people involved in any prison death would get the ambulance to the injured party as soon as possible.”

He added: “Unfortunately it’s a closed environment so some men and women fall in love – I’ve seen corruption.

“In my 35 years in the prison service I’ve seen it happen in a number of cases.”

Mr Stoaddart told the week-long inquest at County Hall in Maidstone, Kent, that some procedures were changed in the light of Dunne’s death.

Setz was banned from entering Rochester Young Offenders’ Institution after the incident.

The inquest is expected to conclude tomorrow(Weds).

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy