Gas Explosion Blows Out Front Of House While Firefighters Try To Save Trapped Man

October 4, 2017 | by | 0 Comments

 

Dramatic footage shows a massive gas explosion as it tore through a house when firefighters were inside in Hull, East Yorkshire. Yorkshire Post / SWNS

Dramatic footage shows a massive gas explosion as it tore through a house when firefighters were inside in Hull, East Yorkshire. Yorkshire Post / SWNS

This dramatic footage shows a massive gas explosion as it tore through a house when firefighters were inside.

Flames burst out of the property and into the garden as the bay windows are blown out, showering firefighters outside with debris.

The footage shows two firefighters, Andy Winfield and Andy Grant, who were inside, being helped out by their colleagues and receiving medical attention on the pavement from fellow crew members and paramedics.

Two other firefighters were taken to Hull Royal Infirmary for precautionary check-ups before being released later that day.

Firefighters then re-enter the wrecked groundfloor flat in Hull, East Yorks., where Lewis Nicklin, 31, who was living in the flat, was found unconscious and later died.

The video was released following an internal inquiry, an HSE investigation and an inquest last month.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said they wanted to demonstrate the dangers their crews faced and their bravery in extreme circumstances.

A spokesman said: “Thankfully, events such as this are rare within this region and across the UK.

“However, they serve as a reminder that firefighters are trained for every eventuality and, despite injuries to colleagues and the risk of further explosions or structural collapse, they returned to the property to look for casualties.”

The inquest heard Mr Nicklin’s death in March was caused by a cocktail of drugs he’d taken and breathing in high levels of poisonous carbon monoxide.

Lewis Nicklin was was found unconscious in teh flat and later died.

Lewis Nicklin was was found unconscious in teh flat and later died.

Mr Winfield and Mr Grant were in the kitchen directing a hose at a small fire in the oven, when the blast occurred.

Mr Winfield told the hearing: “As soon as we opened the water, there was a massive explosion, a fireball that rolled over mine and Andy’s head.

“I describe it as being in an underground train station where a train is just flying past and doesn’t stop.

“It just whooshed past us, destroying everything. I could hear smashing all the way outside.

“It’s very strange. It didn’t knock me off my feet.”

SWNS_GAS_BLAST_02

An investigation found alcohol swabs of the type used to sterilise skin had been put in the oven, and for unknown reasons, the oven was turned on.

They caught fire, creating sufficient heat to melt an alloy fitting on a gas pipe feeding a hob on the worktop, allowing gas to be released.

Coroner Prof Paul Marks returned a verdict of accidental death.

He said the drugs may have left Mr Nicklin in a stupor “not noticing the fire or taking evasive action.”

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy