Eight-year-old boy breaks his leg after releasing handbrake on grandmothers car

March 21, 2010 | by | 0 Comments

An eight-year-old boy suffered a broken leg when he accidently released the handbrake on his grandmothers car and ran himself over.

Matthew Joyce was visiting his grandparents when he climbed into the vehicle, which had been left running in the driveway.

However, as he entered the black Peugeot he slipped and released the handbrake, causing it to roll backwards towards the road.

Matthew leapt out of the drivers door but suffered a broken left leg when he became trapped underneath the moving vehicle.

His grandfather Clive Perks, 69, who lives in Trowbridge, Wilts., told how his brave grandson ”didn’t even cry” after the horrific accident.

He said: ”When we saw what was happening Sue ran out of the house towards  the car but was knocked over by the driver’s door which was wide open.

”Matthew then jumped out but he must have turned the steering wheel  because the car turned. He then landed on the floor and the car rolled over his leg.

”I came out with Matthew’s kit and dropped it as soon as I saw what had happened.

”I ran over, saw Matthew and ran to call the ambulance. Matthew just kept telling me and his nan to stop crying, he didn’t cry throughout just shouted.”

The accident occurred last week as Matthew’s grandmother Sue Joyce, 47, who is separated from Clive, dropped him off before a kickboxing class.

Following the incident Matthew was treated by paramedics before being airlifted to the Royal United Hospital in Bath, Somerset.

He spent the night in hospital after surgeons inserted a titanium rod into his leg.

Unfazed by the ordeal, Matthew said: ”It was really fun in the helicopter, although the taking off was wobbly.

”I was scared at first but then when I was put in the helicopter it was okay. The paramedics were funny, they were trying to take my mind off the height I think.”

Matthews mother Sarah Joyce, 29, who also lives in Trowbridge, Wilts., added: ”When Sue called me all I could hear was Matthew screaming and people crying.

”I ran out to where the helicopter landed, Matthew was screaming which was really hard to cope with.

”The police officer from the helicopter came over and cuddled me and told me it was going to be okay.”

Matthew is now trying to raise money for the Wiltshire Air Ambulance.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Uncategorized

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy