‘We spent the whole match swearing at the TV’: Andy Murray’s grandparents overjoyed at tennis star’s historic vivtory in U.S. Open

September 11, 2012 | by | 0 Comments

Grand Slam winner Andy Murray’s exhausted grandparents told  spent the entire US Open final match “shouting and swearing at the television”.

Proud granddad Roy Erskine, 81, watched the historic match with his wife Shirley, 79, from the couple’s home in Dunblane, just yards from the tennis club where Andy started his career.

Speaking after only a few hours sleep, Roy said they were “proud” of their grandson and described Monday’s match against world number one Novak Djokovic as Andy’s “toughest match yet”.

Andy Murray's grandparents Shirley and Roy Erskine at Dunblane Sports Centre in Murrays home town of Dunblane in Stirling

Andy Murray’s grandparents Shirley and Roy Erskine at Dunblane Sports Centre in Murrays home town of Dunblane in Stirling

And he revealed he still gives the world number four post-match advice.

Speaking from Dunblane Tennis Club, Roy said: “We are so proud of Andy and Judy. Everyone is absolutely delighted.

“We watched the match from home, cursing and swearing at the television.

“I know he’s the world number four, but I still tell him what shots he should have played after his games.

“It’s not the best form I have seen him on but as far as circumstances go, with everything that has led up to it, it was certainly his toughest game.

“Shirley got a text message from Judy about 30 minutes after he won saying how delighted she was.

“Andy has been a little busy since but we hope to hear from him in a few days when it has all calmed down.

“The fans in New York have really taken to Andy since he was a wee boy. He’s always loved playing there.

“The support he’s had in Dunblane has just been wonderful. When Shirley goes down to the village she can’t move for well-wishers.

“Shirley and I are going out for a meal with friends tonight to celebrate.”

Roy, who played tennis as a young man, said Andy’s first and last sets were his greatest achievements in the game, which lasted until the early hours of the morning.

He added: “It was a long match but I enjoyed his first set and last set the most.

“He really gave it everything. I think he thought he was never going to win a grand slam but since the Olympic win there’s definitely been a change in him.

“We are exhausted this morning. We didn’t get much sleep.”

Shirley, 79, said she had problems keeping her nerves at bay in the hours leading up to the match, which was delayed by severe weather conditions in New York.

She said had completed the all housework by lunchtime and by mid-afternoon had walked the family retriever Penny twice.

She said: “I was nervous all day, just trying to occupy myself by cleaning the house and walking the dog. But it’s wonderful.”

Category: News

Add your comment

Libellous and abusive comments are not allowed. Please read our House Rules

For information about privacy and cookies please read our Privacy Policy